Submission deadline for posters and videos is April 14th, 2017
Exhibition is April 27th, 4-6pm, in the Simplot Ballroom Student Union Building.
- The Service-Learning Student Exhibition is a unique opportunity for students who participate in service-learning to showcase their experience through a research or reflective poster about the application of their course work to current community issues. The exhibition is an open forum for students to interact with faculty, community partners, and with university and state dignitaries. Held every spring and fall semester, the diversity of disciplines and projects in the exhibition illustrates the broad reach of Boise State University’s commitment to civic engagement.
- Any student who is currently enrolled in a service-learning course may enter a poster, video, or art to be reviewed for selection. Anyone else is welcome to attend the reception.
- Contact the Service-Learning Program at 426-1004 or at email@example.com.
- Service-Learning students are a motivated, attentive, and impassioned bunch. They care deeply about the issues in their communities and jump at the opportunity to serve, realizing, as Ann Frank put it, “…that no one need wait a single moment before starting to change the world.” We also honor our community partners and faculty members for their excellent work in Service-Learning. See past award winners
- April 27th, 2017
- Student Union Building, Simplot Ballroom
Best of College Exhibition
- May 1st – 5th
- All day
- Interactive Learning Center (ILC) 3rd floor lobby
Important Submission Information
The poster or video needs to be uploaded via this webpage no later than 5pm on November 22nd. Requests to modify this deadline may be submitted by the instructor in advance.
- Kinesiology 545
"If I can do this I can do anything!"
- Psychology 301
Helping the Homeless of Boise
- Spanish 303
A Place Where Success and Learning are Contagious
- Nursing 417
Providers, Latinos and Nutrition: A Plan for Good Health
- Gender 300
Be in the Know
- Counseling 507
Old and New Americans Unite
- Counseling 507
Bridging the Cultural Divide for a Refugee through Career Counseling
- Special Education 350
Boise Schools Bridge Program
- English 101
Tunnel of Oppression Project
- Engineering 120
Cooking and Entertainment Assistance
Use one of the templates provided in the link below to get started on your poster submission. Choose between the structured poster templates (feel free to modify or the change colors), or an open template. The open template is completely blank and will require you to have competent to proficient knowledge about Powerpoint. All of the templates are preset with the correct dimensions. Follow the checklist guidelines to complete your poster.
Find our checklist guidelines and templates
View examples of excellent SL poster submissions.
Thirty to forty posters will be selected for display at the exhibition reception with a maximum of five posters selected from any one class. Submissions are chosen based on quality of content, application of course work to service, visual presentation and adherence to the submission checklist guidelines.
- Make sure the poster adheres to the submission checklist guidelines.
- If you are using photos of community partner clients or members, you must have a signed Boise State photo/video release form(s). Photo/video release form
- Save your poster file using this format: Class Name_ Poster Title_ Submitters Last Name. Example: SOCWRK 101_Child Hunger_Finnegan
- Save any photo release forms using this format: Class Name_Poster Title_Release Form_Client Last Name. For example if you have a signed photo release for a child with the last name Smith would format the file: SOCWRK101_Child Hunger_Smith
- Use the “Submit Poster/Video” button to access the submission form and to upload the poster/photo release form(s).
- Fill in and answer all the questions in the poster submission form.
- Upload the poster and all of the Boise State photo releases in the form (more than one file may be uploaded at a time). Upload the poster as a Powerpoint and the photo releases as a PDF.
The Service-Learning Program reviews the poster to make sure it meets the submission checklist guidelines. After the review process, the SL staff will notify you whether your poster was selected. You will receive this email a week before the exhibition event. If selected, the Service-Learning Program will print your poster. You are expected to attend the reception and be available to explain your submission and experience to guests.
To showcase the range and depth of SL experiences, ten posters will be selected to represent each college in a week long exhibition on the third floor of the ILC. These top posters will be selected by a jury of faculty, community partners, and Service-Learning staff. Take a look at the Poster Submission “Best of College” Assessment Rubric here.
Although submissions become the property of BSU Service-Learning, if the submission can be used by the faculty, community partner, or student in future displays, SL Staff will happily return them. Students are welcome to pick up their submissions seven days after the exhibition. Please call 426-1004 in advance to schedule a pick-up time.
A service-learning experience video may be submitted in place of a poster. Video submissions are chosen based on quality of content, application of course work to service, visual presentation and adherence to the submission checklist guidelines. View examples of SL video submissions.
- Make sure the video adheres to the video submission checklist guidelines.
- If you are using video of community partner clients or members, you must have a Boise State signed photo/video release form(s). Photo/video release form
- Save your video file using this format: Class Name_ Video Title_ Submitters Last Name. Example: SOCWRK 101_Child Hunger_Finnegan
- Save any video release forms using this format: Class Name_Poster Title_Release Form_Client Last Name. For example if you have a signed video release for a child with the last name Smith would format the file: SOCWRK101_Child Hunger_Smith
- Use the “Submit Poster/Video” button to access the submission form and to upload the video/video release form(s).
- Fill in and answer all the questions in the poster/video submission form.
- Upload the video and all of the Boise State video releases in the form (more than one file may be uploaded at a time). Upload the video release forms as a PDF. Videos can be uploaded in the following formats: .MOV,MPEG4, .AVI, .WMV, .FLV.
The Service-Learning Program reviews the video to make sure it meets the submission checklist guidelines. After the review process, the SL staff will notify you whether your video was selected. You will receive this email a week before the exhibition event. If selected, SL Staff will upload your video to the Service-Learning Program YouTube account. You are expected to attend the reception. You will also be required to bring a laptop and a headset. A table and power outlet will be reserved for you to set up your computer to display your video on.
The “Best of College” is selected by a jury of faculty, community partners, and students. The Jury uses this rubric to evaluate poster that are selected to be considered “Best of College” that represent the best poster for each college. The jury must select one from each college in their top ten. The sum of all of the votes is calculated to determine the highest voted poster for each college and then the next highest to round out the top ten posters.